Take a sneak peak at our exciting prekindergarten classes. Southwest ISD has 4 year old prekindergarten classes at every campus. This program focuses on math, literacy, science, social studies, character education, based on age-appropriate instructional strategies that motivate students to learn. Students are supported in their quest to become academically ready for kindergarten, socially prepared for school, and physically strong, and emotionally supported for learning. Our prekindergarten classes serve as the foundation for academic success for our youngest students.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR PREKINDERGARTEN
Registration for prekindergarten is held at your neighborhood campus beginning March of the previous year until the end of August (during normal school hours). Registration interviews will be completed in partnership with Head Start or PREK4SA staff and conclude with campus verification staff members. Please look for our Prekindergarten Round-Up dates every spring at your local campus. Registrations will continue through the summer by appointments only. We look forward to working with you and your child.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR PREKINDERGARTEN
In order to be eligible for the Pre-Kindergarten Program, state law (Texas Education Code §29.153) requires that children must be a Southwest ISD resident and is 4 years old on or before September 1st and (one of the following):
1. Unable to speak or comprehend the English language (speak another language other than English) [Based on testing results]
2. Educationally disadvantaged (income based) [Based on eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program]
3. Homeless (as identified by 42 United States Code, Section 1143a)
4. The child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority (proof of military ID and/or DoD paperwork)
5. The child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty (proof of VA statement of benefits due to active duty)
6. Have been in the conservatorship (foster care) of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) (foster care) following an adversary hearing (as identified in Section 262.201, Family Code).
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED FOR ENROLLMENT INTO PREKINDERGARTEN
- Birth Certificate: Original only or certified copies (photocopies will not be accepted)
- Immunization Records: Up-to-date shot records including 4 year old vaccinations
- Social Security Card: Child’s social security card
- Proof of (gross) Income: Current paychecks that reflect the past two months of employment for both parents if applicable AND 1040 tax form previous year (for Head Start consideration). Families receiving SNAP must bring in current Notice of Eligibility documenting benefits begin and end dates with child listed as dependent. Families on TANF must bring current Benefit Letter documenting when benefits begin and end. Parents who are self-employed must bring previous year’s 1040 tax form.
- Military (Active Duty): Completion of the Military registration form and military ID or Statement of Service letter from DOD with information of dependents.
- Military (Dependents of injured or killed on active duty): VA paperwork documenting that injury or death during active duty service benefits for child.
- Proof of Residency: Current electric, water or utility bill, apartment/house lease, and “closing papers” for home purchase.**
**In the event that a family is living with another family or cannot meet the district’s requirements for proof of residency, the family may enroll the child by completing the AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCY. This affidavit REQUIRES both the parent/guardian of the child and the host resident to appear before the school administration or designee, present photo ID’s, and a copy of resident’s proof of residency (current utility bill for the current or prior month).
PRE-KINDERGARTEN INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
Each campus has at least two prekindergarten classes. These classes are run in partnership with Head Start and follow both Head Start and prekindergarten guidelines. Our classes have about 20 students with one teacher and one certified aide (10 to 1 student to teacher ratio).
Our classes begin and end at the same time as all elementary campuses. Prekindergarten students have a nap time and snack time provided during the day (nap mats and snacks are provided by Head Start and Southwest ISD).
The district follows the OWL’s (Opening the World of Learning) curriculum, which is a comprehensive state-adopted curriculum for prekindergarten students, which is provided in both English and Spanish.
All prekindergarten students are assessed three times a year using various academic readiness and social-emotional assessments. Parents are provided assessment results and guidance towards assisting student in meeting readiness benchmarks to prepare for Kindergarten standards.