Southwest ISD Health Services Mission Statement
The mission of the SWISD Health Services Department is to guide students toward an optimal level of health, thereby enhancing their ability to obtain the maximum benefit from the educational experience.
About School Nurses
“School nursing is a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success and life-long achievement of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self management, self advocacy and learning.” – NASN
The school nurse:
- Serves as health advocate for students.
- Performs health screenings as required by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Provides temporary and emergency care for sick or injured students..
- Provides specialized health care and services.
- Serves as Health Liaison between school, physician, parents, and community.
- Reviews and evaluates student immunization records to ensure compliance with state law.
- Administers student medication according to District policy and procedures.
- Contributes to the health education program as a resource person in both planning and teaching capacities, working with the principal and staff.
- Promotes wellness and provides information to facilitate healthy life styles among
- students and faculty.
- Provides health counseling and teaching on an individual basis
- Evaluates and monitors communicable diseases and implements strategies to prevent the spread of disease in the school
- Identifies and refers possible pediatric and adolescent health problems for early intervention and treatment