COVID Safety Plan 21-22
We are excited to have our SWISD students back for the 2021-22 school year. Per the Governor’s Executive Order and the Texas Education Agency, in-person learning will be the primary mode of learning offered this school year, and we are exploring alternative learning opportunities currently. We understand that some of our SWISD families have extenuating circumstances concerning the health of their students and/or family, and we encourage you to reach out to your child’s campus Principal to discuss your specific circumstances, concerns, and options. Please visit the Virtual Learning Options FAQ for more information.
We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has not gone away. SWISD will continue to work diligently to implement a plan based on the most up-to-date public health guidance, scientific data, and governmental guidance. We will continue to review, adjust, and communicate changes to our protocols and plan due to the evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Week of May 31 - June 3
District-Wide Active Positive Cases
Hygiene Practices: Hand Washing & Respiratory Etiquette
SWISD encourages the practice of regular hand hygiene (i.e., washing hands/use of hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol) and respiratory hygiene/cough etiquette. Proper hand hygiene education and respiratory etiquette will be integrated into our students’ curriculum.
SWISD will have hand sanitizer stations available at entrances of buildings & other designated locations within the campus building. In addition, hand sanitizer stations are also available in each classroom.
SWISD custodial staff will diligently monitor soap dispensers and hand sanitizer stations to ensure soap and hand sanitizer is always available.
Proper hand hygiene education will be integrated into students’ curriculum. Hand hygiene will be practiced as part of the daily classroom routine and during, but not limited to, the following times as well:
• Upon entering the school building
• Before & after lunch/snack
• After using the restroom
• Before and after recess
• After coughing or sneezing
• When hands are visibly dirty
Student & Staff Screenings
Therefore, it is imperative that staff and students stay home if exhibiting signs/symptoms of COVID-19 or a contagious illness. This action is imperative to keep COVID-19 infections out of schools and help prevent the spread of COVID-19 to others. Refer to the SWISD Contact Tracing, Isolation, and Quarantine protocols.
Isolation and Quarantine Protocols
Close contact determinations are generally based on guidance outlined by the CDC.
Individuals who are fully vaccinated may not need to follow the stay-at-home period.
• School Systems are not required to conduct contact tracing.
• If school systems are made aware that a student is a close contact, the school system must notify the student’s parents.
• At least 5 days have passed since symptom on set and you must wear a mask until day 10
• Fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever suppressing medications. Fever is a temperature of 100 F or higher
• And other symptoms have improved
• At least 5 days have passed since the date of the test and you must wear a mask until day 10.
SWISD will authorize the return of the symptomatic student (prior to the 5-day exclusion) if the following conditions are met:
• The student has obtained medical consultation on/after the start of current symptoms
• Medical documentation or a negative COVID PCR result is provided to the school nurse PRIOR to the student return allowing the student to return
based on alternate diagnosis
• The student has been fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-suppressing medications. Fever is a temperature of 100 F or higher.
Masks are encouraged to be used among those who are not fully vaccinated and cannot maintain distance. Plexiglass desktop barriers will be available for classroom use.
Cleaning & Disinfecting
Employees and students are encouraged to disinfect their own personal workspace throughout the day, giving special attention to commonly touched surfaces.
SWISD will clean and disinfect areas that a COVID-19 positive case occupied within the last 24 hours.
Screening Testing (Asymptomatic Testing) & Diagnostic Testing
SWISD is currently holding weekly testing in our campuses. Asymptomatic testing will be performed on a voluntary basis and in collaboration with Community Labs. Those who are not fully vaccinated are strongly encouraged to participate. More information will be available soon.
Parents, students, and staff will be referred to community locations for diagnostic testing if they are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.